Where To Find Legal Counseling or Representation for Conservatorships and Guardianships


Lawyers/attorneys offering legal representation or legal counseling for conservatorship and guardianship* (see explanation below) can be found through:

  •  YELLOW PAGES OF THE PHONE BOOK: every phone book has different specialty attorney headings. Try looking for specialties that may serve a specific need, such as:
    • Attorneys – Guardianship
    • Attorneys – Estate Planning & Administration
    • Attorneys – Wills, Estate Planning & Probate
    • Attorneys – Wills, Trusts & Estates
    • Under ‘”Find Attorneys by Practice Area”, select “Disabilities”, “Guardianship”, or “Trusts and Estates”, or “Wills and Living Wills.” You may have to click on the link “See all practice areas” to find all areas. 
    • On the bottom left side of the following page, narrow down the search by selecting the city near you.

Note: this website lists only lawyers in Iowa who are willing to consult and advise at a discounted rate of no more than $25 for the first 30 minutes of consultation.

    • Call by dialing 2-1-1
    • Visit website  211iowa.org and select the “Legal and Consumer” category, and then from one or more of the following sections: “Discrimination Assistance”, “General Legal Services or “Other Specialized Legal Services”.

*According to the “Guardianship and Conservatorship in Iowa” publication, written by Iowa Legal Aid and funded by the Iowa Governor’s Developmental Disabilities Council: “Guardianship and conservatorship are court cases that arrange for a person, or sometimes a company or other entity (called a guardian or a conservator), to make certain decisions for another person (called the ward). A guardianship deals with non-financial decisions while a conservatorship deals with financial decisions. A guardianship or conservatorship can be set up for a person if his or her decision-making capacity is so impaired that the person is unable to care for his or her own personal safety or to provide for his or her “necessities.” The person must be at risk of physical injury or illness.”